Monday, January 23, 2023

New (to me) Cast Iron

My sister-in-law gave me this Cooks Signature cast iron.  Cooks was/is carried by JC Penney's  This has been stored in the shed since before her husband passed away. It was closed and as you can see the temperature changes allowed condensation to form on the lid and form rust "crystals." 

 

After a little time in the e-tank and some TLC it's started to look better. It can use a couple more layers of seasoning but at least it's usable. This should be just the ticket for fried fish.




I used a 5 gallon bucket, Arm and Hammer Super Wash and a 12 volt bench top power supply.  

 


Finding the super wash was the challenge.  I eventually found it at the hardware store.  The super wash is sodium carbonate (NOT BIcarbonate baking soda) that is used at 1 to 2 tbs per gallon of water to create a electrolyte.The alligator clip is attached to the handle which I leave sticking out of the water.  You can just barely see the red wire has no clip. I twist that to a piece of wire attached to a  sacrificial piece of scrap steel.  Once the black dust created from the process has been cleaned off I put it on the gas grill for a few minutes to dry.  Then I coat it with a very light coating of oil and let it "cook" for a hour.  The oil/heat process is repeated until it's got the desired look.


No comments:

Post a Comment