Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Let there be light

 


 

Time spent outside will convince anyone that you need to be able to see in the dark. Growing up we used these 6v lanterns and plastic D-cell flashlights.  They were crap.  I can't tell you how many times I had to smack one of these to make them light up.  

One of the first "good" flashlights I bought for myself was a Surefire G2 along with the body extension and B65 rechargeable battery.  It was a great light.  The bulbs were prone to blowing if it was dropped while hot but all in all a great light.  I discovered it's main disadvantage while traveling in South Africa.  I was not able to find CR123 cells during one of my trips there.  

After that I decided I should standardize on the more common double and triple A form factors.  My brother in law gave me one of the UK4AA lights.  Same Xenon style bulb as the G2 but using AA cells.  I love these lights.  They don't roll. They ride easily in your pocket. They are waterproof and designed for hazardous environments. They only put out 35 lumen so they're not a tactical light.

I  spent a lot of time on Dan's Data and was very happy to see LED flashlights come out.  Most of the ones I used were cheap and very few of them lasted any time.  Again, dropping them caused problems and often just pocket carry seemed to be rough on them.  Of these lights the best was this little "Vander" that I picked up at a gun show for $10.  It's a little picky about needing fresh batteries but after 6+ years it still works.  

I'm a big fan of Olight.  I have a bunch of these Baldr Pro lights and one of the mini's instead of a finger stop on my AR pistol.  They've held zero and have been very dependable.  IF you buy form the Oligh store the often through in these tiny pocket lights. For the two pictured, one is rechargeable and the other uses AAA batteries.  They're both several years hold and have held up to daily pocket carry.  I used to spend a log of time in server rooms. Often a tactical light is too bright when you are looking at something close, like when you're routing cable in a server rack. These lights are just the right brightness. 

The little orange light is a See-Me 35 lumen strobe. I grabbed it on clearance for $6. It's worn while walking the dog. So far it's holding up nicely.  

Notice I don't have any maglites pictured.  I have worn out so many of the small ones that I don't really care for them.  They're good for one drop and then they will always need a smack to get them going.  I do have a bunch of the D-cell form factors. They seem to be more robust.


No comments:

Post a Comment