Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Shale Splitter

I like to do a little rock hounding/ fossil hunting when I'm traveling.  I make it to Eastern WV and North Western Virginia around the Lost River area once or twice a year.  I've been looking for a good tool for splitting the shale that holds the trilobites found there.  They range from thumbnail sized to 2 1/2 inches.

 


 I needed a little to bump up an Amazon order for free shipping so I slipped this Hultafors Chisel Knife in the cart. At $9 I'm not worried about chipping it up and for the price I can buy 3 for the cost of the Stanley chisel knife that looks to be stronger. It feels good in the hand and the sheath is very secure. The blade is beveled on both sides. We'll see how it holds up.  Spring is coming.


You can read about the location on Fossil Guy. This is a very well know area but I've only run into one other person while I was there; not the crowds like you see in the pictures.  The area is littered with road cuts that also hold fossils so if you go make sure you explore the side roads.

 

I've also found Spiriferid Brachiopods in the more fragile, oily shale but were difficult to remove any intact.


No comments:

Post a Comment