Friday, February 3, 2023

Spanish Rice

 

 


We're having a Mexican themed movie night/potluck at church tonight. My wife thought we should take our version of restaurant style Spanish rice. I’m making a triple sized batch in the pictures. 

 Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup Basmati rice
  • 1 14.5 oz can chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup water
  • tbsp tomato bouillon

Optional:

  • tbsp finely diced onion
  • ¼ cup corn

Heat the pan and add the olive oil. Sauté the onions until just transparent. Add the rice and toast slightly. Add the chicken stock, water, and tomato bouillon. Bring to a boil , cover and cook for approximately 12 minutes.



 

Toasting the rice will give it a slightly nutty flavor. You're trying to brown it like Rice-a-Roni. I really don't care for plain white rice.  I use basmati rice for everything. You could use minute rice for this recipe. That's what most of the Mexican restaurant use. For weeknight dinner I often skip the onion and just use a little onion powder. I keep a bag of frozen corn to add.  The Knorr bouillon comes in chicken and beef.  I just use a heaping spoon. 

Rice is cooked two to one water to rice.  A can of stock is not 16 oz so you have to add a little water. The first line in the bottom of the can is 1/4 cup - that's one less thing to wash.



No comments:

Post a Comment