Friday, December 9, 2022

Granddad's Shop

 

 My grandfather had 2 quotes posted in his workshop.  The first I have since learned is attributed to John Wooden.  The second is from the White Rabbit from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

 

 
 
 
He once told me "There will come a time when no one will know that you didn't do a good job except you. How you handle that is part of your stature as man."
 
He also had this playing card pinned up. I've digitally cleaned it up and removed the thumbtack holes. In today's internet it's not that scandalous, but it's still NSFW,  and I know it irritated my grandmother, and in the 60's and 70's where my cousins grew up it was a typical nudie pin up for a garage.

This was the place for the guys to gather after holiday dinner.  There might be a project underway to fiddle with as the ladies did what they do inside. Maybe we'd grab a .22 or a pellet rifle and have an impromptu target shoot. The smell of wood smoke, metal shavings and oil can transport me back here.

This is shop 2.0. The original shop had no insulation and a gravel floor. Dropping a nut or bolt there meant it was probably gone forever. This was taken the week after he passed away.  I'd love to have another afternoon in here with him.





No comments:

Post a Comment