Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Dad (and others) Wisdom

Several years ago, during a Men's Day message at church, we were challenged to think about the words of wisdom that had been passed down from the men in our life.  I jotted some notes in my prayer journal and figured that I would also include such thoughts from the women in my life also.  Here's the first on the list:

Dad

"Never fry bacon in your underwear."
"If you know how to fix things, you will always have a job."

This is a running joke on the internet. I think everyone's dad at one time or another has said this.  I have a very distinct picture of my father in my mind making breakfast one morning while were at his house when he actually said this. 

My parents divorced when I was 11 or 12. My relationship with my father was strained. While he wasn't a bad dad, he just wasn't very active in my life after the divorce. I have memories of sitting on the front porch waiting for him to actually show up for his weekend.  After I left the Army, I made an effort to eat lunch with him whenever I was in the area for work.  He said the second quote at the last lunch, before he passed away.  He told me he was proud of me and my career choice.  I'm very happy that we were able to mend our relationship before his passing.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment