Monday, July 13, 2015

EDC - AKA crap in my pockets





My thought process was started for this post several months back after reading an article (sorry, I didn't save the link, though it was probably on ITSTactical) about overloading rucks in tactical situations.  I thought the same could apply to many folks in the EDC crowd. Let's get real: How many of us really want to carry around a Maxpedition Versipack full of stuff?

I think that men have been fascinated with perfecting their personal kit since the first man tied a stick to a rock.  The current EDC craze traces its roots back to the days of dial-up bulletin boards and modem based internet connections. When the first multi-tools came to market they were stupid expensive and everyone wanted to know the pros and cons of each before parting with their cash. I see several differences between then and now.  First, I get the feeling that many of the people posting their pocket dumps are trying to one up the others by posting the classiest, most expensive, coolest gear they can find.   Who wants to spend $45 on a skull shaped titanium bottle opener and how many times a day do you really think you’d need to open a bottle? 

I carry the stuff in the picture in my laptop bag. Note the titanium "ice pick" in my picture. It was hard to pass up 3 bucks and free shipping.  Saying titanium to an EDC guy is like saying buy one - get one to a woman shopping for shoes.  The pry bar and knife in that picture are also titanium. Their only saving grace was that they were each under $6 and were impulse buys with other orders so I didn't pay for shipping.  But really? The only items I use anywhere regularly are the sharpie and the Gerber mini-tool.

Many guys seem to be loading down with enough junk that we now have pocket clips to hang the gear so it doesn’t tangle up in the bottom of your pocket. Finally, many guys seem to be tied to specific carry items, never swapping for a more appropriate tool. I have a list of items I always have with me.  I then swap the item as needed to meet specific requirements for the day.  For example: I typically carry a light that uses a single AA battery.  If I’m heading into the woods I swap that light for an Underwater Kinetics 4AA. I have yet to find a single EDC item that will fit the need for every situation. When in the office I will carry a multi-tool.  When out and about I prefer to carry a single hand folder.


I also like to take a layered approach to my EDC. The items in my pocket are meant to save me the trip back to my desk.  The items in the kit at my desk will get me to my vehicle. My vehicle kit is designed to get me home.  This means I’m not weighted down. The items on my person are used every day.  The layered approach also helps counteract the one-is-none factor as each location has an improved/ more robust version of anything in the previous kit.



My Pocket Dump:
Wallet
Handkerchief/ Bandanna
Watch
Keys
Knife
Flashlight
Pen
Reading Glasses in case
Cell Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment