Friday, July 17, 2015

A lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path: EDC Flashlights



(Maglite, Surefire 6P, S&W "tactical" LED, $2 LED, LP200, UK4AA)

Over the years I’ve tried numerous types of flashlights.  I’ve received browning LED keychain lights and I’ve tried the Sapphire keychain LED which I liked but neither survived my pocket.  I’m not complaining. I have destroyed unbreakable plastic thermoses, ruptured a steel Stanley and once dropped a linked, stainless keychain that the locksmith claimed was unbreakable only to watch keys scatter everywhere. Heck, I’ve even had a standard key split-ring break.

I’ve also run though many different AAA and AA variations on pocket torches starting with the venerable Maglite 2-AA.  Most have a life expectancy of 18 months at best. 16 years ago on my first trip to Africa I carried a SureFire 6P with the 120 lumen upgrade light. At the time it was leading the pack in tactical lights.  That trip shaped much of what I look for in a light when I needed to find batteries they were expensive and very difficult to find. I spent most of that 28 day trip relying on cheap AA backup light.

 My current requirements for an EDC light are that it must be comfortable in my pocket. Many tactical flashlights have too many sharp edges and protrusions to meet this requirement. It must put out at least 35 lumens.  It should be powered preferably by a single AAA or AA battery.  Finally it must not break the bank.  Currently I’ve settled on the Lux-Pro 150 LP200.  It was $12, runs on one AA, is round and smooth and if I remember correctly it’s rated at 120 Lumens.  We’re somewhere around that 18 month window and it now needs a smack to get going from time to time.  It has a lifetime warranty (with receipt) but for $12 I may just buy a new when needed.

My second choice in lights is the UK4AA.  I have both the twist-on and front switch models.  I keep one of these in my laptop bag. While they are only rated at 38 lumens they are both completely waterproof and certified for use in hazardous environments. Even though they are little larger than I’d like, being flat, they are very comfortable to carry.  

Note that the only light here that I would consider ‘tactical’ is the SureFire 6P.  The specifications of a tactical light don’t meet my requirements for EDC.  Yes, I’m willing to spend more for a tactical light.  So why not just carry one as EDC?  Think about standing in a semi-dark server room, a foot or so away from the back of a rack of servers looking for the serial number on a device.  Now hit that area with a 250 lumen light with your face a foot away.  Good luck reading that number now that you've flash blinded yourself.  Keep in mind that I use a layered approach to EDC and switch out my gear to meet daily (mission) requirements. I carry a tactical light when and where it may be needed. Heading out to dinner; gear is swapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment