Thursday, February 3, 2011

The first post - Shoulder Pad Build-up

For the guys out there – my wife introduced me to this term. It happens when every top a lady is wearing has shoulder pads so that they end up looking like an NFL linebacker. 
This week I was asked to fix a friend's computer.  The complaint was, “It’s not doing anything.” I found that it was in fact doing lots of things, all at the same time and not doing any of it very well.  It booted up quickly enough, but once I had logged in everything became agonizingly slow.  I found that disabling the virus protection “fixed” it but it took 25 mintues to get there.
The real problem was that Trend Micro’s Titanium (which I help load in a drive by, over the shoulder, can you help request), McAfee and Fix It Pro were loaded hence the “shoulder pad buildup” comment. In this case we had system protect buildup.  A quick trip to Trend’s  perfomance troubleshooting page to download the McAfee uninstaller and I saw a vast improvement.  Next I set scanning exceptions for the Fix It Pro software and we’re done. Everything’s back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment