Friday, February 4, 2011

Exchange 2007 – Where Nothing Happens Fast

One thing that I really like about exchange 2007 is The Exchange Management Shell (and Powershell). I try to use it for most of my daily tasks but sometimes it’s just quicker to right-click and pick new.
... until you make a mistake. I meant to create a mailbox database but I created a public folder database.  No big deal right? just delete it. There’s no data on it? Not so fast. Here’s what I get:
Remove-PublicFolderDatabase : Exchange is unable to check the public folder rep
licas. Verify the Microsoft Information Store service is running, and that the da
tabase is properly mounted

OK. FINE I’ll mount the database. GRRRR now I get this:
The public folder database contains folder replicas. Before deleting the public
folder database, remove the folders or move the replicas to another public
folder database. For detailed instructions about how to remove a public folder
database, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=81409.

I’m going to rant a little here. I’m wrapping up my 2003 to 2007 migration this month. I really liked that Exchange 2003 had pretty much done away with the little idiosyncrasies we’d come to love/hate about earlier versions. Gone were the days of “Exchange is just that way.” Well I’m starting to see that those days are back.  2007 puts a copy of the public folder hierarchy on all public folder databases.  This is a good thing. But what this means for me right now is that I have to wait for this database to replicate to all of my other public folder servers around the world. I also have to wait for the store cache to flush which may take 2 hours. Then I can delete this database.
Well I have things to do. I can’t wait around all day until Exchange decides it can find all the replicas for this database.  So firing up ADSIEDIT I find the Exchange Administrative Group for 2007, drill down to the Server CN.  Next I expand the container for the server with the wayward public folder and expand the information store container.  Expand the Storage group and delete the database. Now all that’s left is to manually delete the edb file and logs and I can fix my mistake and go home on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment