Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ich spreche kein Deutsch or why are my Outlook messages in the wrong language

Working at an international l company provides lots of benefits.  One of these is the ability to practice your language skills. While my accent is horribly southern, I can ask directions and say “please” and “thank you” in French, German and Spanish – Que pass ya’ll
I recently received a helpdesk ticket where the non-delivery reports, read receipts and delivery receipts were received in German.  Jumping into their mailbox with OWA I found their regional settings were in Swiss – German. Luckily I read German fairly well. So I selected Optionen, in the upper right corner. Language is Ländereinstellungen  on the menu on the left side of the screen. So I changed the language to Englisch (Vereinigte Staaten).and closed the ticket with a quick note to the user with the solution. 
Unfortunately this didn’t fix the problem.  Usually I’d be pointing to store cache as being the culprit.  Many mailbox settings do not take effect until after the store cache refresh which is at the 2 hour default setting. However, I changed the language settings on a Friday and Monday she was still getting read receipts in German.  An internet search reviled a lot of people having this issue and setting the language in OWA correcting the issue. Calling Microsoft we spent a couple hours digging around and doing the typical Q&A. 
After a while I pull up the mailbox in OWA to confirm that I did indeed change it and sent a quick test mail.  Low and behold the read receipt came back in English.  All of our previous testing had been done with Outlook using terminal server because the mailbox was fairly large. I didn’t change it back to repeat the process, but I was left with conclusion that sending the read receipt in OWA caused the Exchange servers to sense the new setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment